Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) is a status gained by successfully completing professional formation. This process enables you to demonstrate that you are continuing to develop and apply the skills and knowledge gained from your initial teaching qualification to your practice.
The Society for Education and Training (through its parent organisation the Education and Training Foundation) is currently the only body that can confer QTLS status.
What will you learn?
Underpinned by the professional teacher standards, the QTLS helps applicants to build upon their existing practice and develop new skills and knowledge. Applicants will be able to demonstrate the impact of this professional formation process on their teaching practice to employers and colleagues.
QTLS status is recognised in law as equal to QTS for teaching in schools
QTLS status demonstrates your commitment, skills and knowledge to employers
Recognition of your status as a professional teacher or trainer
Valuable continuing professional development (CPD) that builds confidence and enhances your skills
Members with QTLS can use these initials as a designation.
Who can study?
A minimum level 5 initial teacher training qualification such as DET or equivalent is necessary before QTLS professional formation can be undertaken, making this qualification suitable for:
- Qualified FE teachers working as teaching assistants, tutors or instructors in schools or sixth form colleges. Assessment practices
- Teachers or trainers who have recently completed their initial teacher training, as well as those who already have experience of teaching
The course typically takes three to six months; however, can be completed earlier or later than this.
Why Choose Guide?
Our content experts ensure your courses are kept up-to-date. We constantly monitor changes to statutory guidance, legislation and inspection requirements, as soon as changes are confirmed, we update your course content at the earliest opportunity.
Guide Education's online learning management system is incredibly easy to use with training courses that can be accessed at any time and from any computer with internet access.
With Guide Education you can:
- Fulfil your legal duty of care in the key areas the law and inspection requires
- Provide robust evidence of staff training
- Access powerful management reports so you know who has completed the training
- Allow ALL staff to complete essential duty of care training
- Access additional resources to extend subject knowledge
- Keep up-to-date with legislation changes
- Download personalised certificates
- Train anytime, anywhere - 24/7
- Provide training certified for CPD
Qualified Teacher of Learning and Skills (QTLS)
Additional Course Information
Our QTLS course is split in 10 easy-to-digest course modules, containing individual and targeted videos that delve into the specifics of the essential information you require. Each video is provided with additional reading resources and knowledge enhancement activities that provide you with a wealth of practical ideas and tips that you can employ in the modern education environment.
Our suite of school development courses all count as Continuing Professional Development and can be used as evidence in your personnel record.
Module 1: Overview to QTLS Formation (12 Videos)
Module 2: Standards Section 1: Professional Values and Attributes (7 Videos)
Module 3: Standards Section 2: Professional Knowledge & Understanding (7 Videos)
Module 4: Standards Section 3: Professional Skills (9 Videos)
35 Videos - 67 minutes total run time.
Videos in this course